August 16, 2009

Back-seat drivers

Ever took a trip with a back-seat driver?
We can sometimes be really annoying.
Whether we're telling you when to turn, when to stop, or just holding onto the door handle for dear life when it looks like you're going to crash in the car in front of you.
This is usually post-traumatic from either an accident or a near-accident. There's simply no way for us to know you saw that car, you have your foot on the brake and will stop on time.

Today, as I made myself comfortable in the back of my cousin's car for a nice long trip, I told myself I wouldn't get nervous. But I couldn't help it.
Everytime he got too close to the car in front of him, I held on to the seat, and my heart dropped. Even though he never failed to stop on time. 
I knew I was being nervous for no reason, since there was nothing I could've done to actually control the car. I should've just sat and enjoyed the ride, but I simply couldn't.

That got me thinking that so many times, we try to tell Hashem how to run our lives. We try to take control of where life is taking us. But there's nothing we can do. And Hashem is in full control (way more than any driver out there), so may as well just let Him run my life the way it should, and just ride along.

7 comments:

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

Well that sounds a tad more passive than Jewish theology might have intended...

halfshared said...

Oh gosh, you just described me to the T.

And that mashal is so true. We think we control what happens, when really, Someone up there is in the Driver's seat.

itsagift said...

Nice thought.
Thanks!

Something Different said...

shrikki- no, you obviously have to do your hishtadlus, but in the end, its Hashem controlling your destiny.

Anonymous said...

just cause im to shy to put up a post doesnt mean i cant comment...

it's so easy to forget, yet it's so true...thanx for the reminder

thinking out loud said...

Shriki - we have to do our hishtadlus, but like SD pointed out, no matter what we do Hashem still runs the world.

HS - i know exactly what it's like... i'm the worst BSD anyone can wish for.

IAG - glad you like it. :)

SD - you stole the words off my keyboard!

Anon - if you have a mashal, just email it to me, and I'll post it without your name.

Rachelli Dreyfuss said...

Here's that bright neon sign!
Thanks for this one... so applicable... Love it...

I guess I gotta just sit and try to enjoy the ride... watch the scenery or something